Saturday, August 21, 2010

And thus it begins...

My first blog post...I figured I'd wait a minimum of a solid half a decade to see if this blog thing was really stable. And I figured since blogging is almost past its prime, it was time to join in and maybe even be considered "retro" for the internet age. The cutting edge is for the foolhardy.

I named the blog "Actually..." as a catharsis. For those that know me, they know it is my most overused phrase. I have this horrible tendency to interject trivia or factoids or corrections into conversation...and I used to almost exclusively start with that friggin' word "Actually". I've tried to cut down on the use of the word, but frankly now it is like a running inside joke with all my friends and co-workers (most of which are also my friends). They even have turned the act of "Actually-ing Doug" into a game or badge of honor. If you can "Actually Doug", then you have one-up-ed me and that is always good for a few laughs.

Another reason for the blog is to share photos. I recently splurged on a new DSLR camera and want to share my photos. I know there is Facebook and Flickr and all sorts of photo sharing sites, but I wanted someplace that my family could see my photos without having to join the social media scene if they don't want to. Of course, I will still use my Flickr account (even linked it to this blog) and post on Facebook, and keep on TwitPic-ing; but this medium should be fun to also be able to embellish with a diary-style prose that 140-160 characters just doesn't allow.

I have no photos to share as of yet (and frankly as of now I have not a follower to see them) but there will be some shortly.

Have fun and hope you enjoy...whoever you are.

No comments: